LYENT RUSSELL (1904 -1998)
Lyent Russell joined the Archaeological Society of Connecticut just after it was founded and became one of its most dedicated members. In addition to serving as the Society’s President in the 1940s, he organized digs at Grannis Island and other sites in southern Connecticut which served as a training ground for generations of local archaeologists. He was an indefatigable lecturer at local schools and in his home where he inspired so many to pursue archaeology even if it was just as an avocation or hobby. He was responsible for the shift in local archaeology from mere collecting of artifacts to their scientific study, and his constant experimenting with aboriginal crafts and processes added considerably to our knowledge of Indian lifeways.
In 1962, he generously endowed the Russell Award in memory of his parents, Mr. and Mrs. Berne A. Russell and his wife, Althea Marsh Russell. This award is still bestowed by the ASC in recognition of “outstanding contributions to the Archaeological Society of Connecticut”.
The winner is chosen by the previous three winners and presented at the Spring Conference each year.